Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

The Wild Card Race

The Phillies are fourth in the wild card race at 2.5 games behind the front-running Cincinnati Reds. The Arizona Diamondbacks and San Diego Padres are both one game back. The Phillies have their work cut out for them over the last month and a half. Some may argue that their schedule is the easiest but they are what they are. They are a team fighting to reach .500 and are only alive because the NL is weak. This inevitably leads to the debate between competition and player development. Around the all star break they appeared headed down the player development route but have seemingly changed course and are alive in the wild card race. Now don't get me wrong, I desperately want the Phils to make the playoffs for the first time since 1993. I live and die during the summer on how the Phils play, but I'm not sure they should sacrifice the long term for a playoff run this year.

I have heard suggestions of trading for a third basemen, someone like a Joe Randa or Jeff Cirillo. I feel this would be counterproductive as the Phillies gave up David Bell, comparable to those two, for a prospect so why would Gillick turn around a deal a prospect for another "David Bell?" It has been suggested that Scott Mathieson head back to the minors for more seasoning. I believe that Mathieson was promoted out of necessity but my argument against demoting him is if the Phils believe he will be in the rotation next year, why not get his rough starts and learning curve out of the way now?

This is all to say that the Phillies chances at a playoff berth are a long shot and I don't want Gillick and company to sacrifice player development and his long term plan to try to get a flawed team into the playoffs. Come September, I want to see some younger guys get oppurtunities such as, Justin Germano, Brian Mazzone, Michael Bourn, and even Gavin Floyd. If Floyd puts together a few quality starts he may be tradeable during the off season. My belief is that their is no substitute for preparing for the big leagues then actually playing there. If there was learning curves would not exist and there would be no such thing as a "sophomore slump." This may have had a negative slant to it, but believe me I want the Phils to win as much as anyone. I do think the Phillies have a shot at the wild card but I feel the three teams ahead of them are better so it will take an extra effort to make the playoffs but it is possible. Lets Go Phillies.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?