Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

It's Time for Plan B

It has been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with both school and baseball. As many of you know I play for Winthrop University and we are preparing to journey to the Dominican Republic over Thanksgiving to play baseball. It should be quite an experience but also means that after tonight I will not have access to a computer until the Monday after Thanksgiving.

A lot has happened since I last posted. The Phillies inked Wes Helms to a 2 year deal to play third base. I am split on what I think of this deal. Helms has not been much until last year and I am afraid the Phillies signed him after a career year. Having said that if he can hit around .300 he will be a contributor in the Phils lineup. His defense is a little shaky but will hold his own.

The big news came this afternoon. It is reported Alfonso Soriano signed an 8 year/136 million dollar contract with the Chicago Cubs. After this signing, I no longer believe in the Curse of the Billy Goat but instead of the Curse of Dumb GMs. It has not been reported yet but I would presume that the deal includes a no-trade clause. Yes Soriano is a dynamic player and a player I would have liked to have in Philly but not at that cost. I thought he was worth about 15 million dollars a year over 4 or 5 years. This deal is outrageous.

Now Mr. Gillick it is time for Plan B. Maybe that is improving the pitching staff with the money saved from not signing Soriano. Maybe Joe Borowski or David Weathers or maybe Adam Eaton or re-signing Randy Wolf. Maybe that includes bringing in another average hitter a la Wes Helms. Maybe it includes trading Aaron Rowand and keeping Pat Burrell. Maybe it is the other way around. Now maybe it is up to Charlie to rework the lineup to find protection for Ryan Howard. I'm not sure but I surely hope Pat Gillick knows.

Gillick does not seem like a GM that has only a plan A. I believe Gillick has prepared for this exact scenario that the bidding for Soriano goes incredibly high and the Phils don't sign him. I have no idea what it is but I'm positive it exists.

On a negative note, this has been a rough week for Philly sports. The Sixers fell under .500 for the first time, the Flyers won a couple times but are going no where. The Phillies missed out on their number one target and Donovan McNabb blew out his ACL. I am a Baltimore Ravens fan but I cheer for the Eagles and McNabb is my fantasy league QB so this loss kills me.

Don't forget the NL MVP is announced tomorrow. Three cheers for Ryan Howard.

Comments:
8 years 136 million for a 31 year old...he's not barry bonds!!! horrible deal. what do the phils do now?
 
the phils best option might be burrell
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?